Sunday 1 November 2015

Project 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhlQISppYKc

I chose to explore the entrance of a residential building, Tower Plaza Condominium, which is the tallest building in Ann Arbor. It is located in the heart of downtown Ann Arbor and just one block from the University of Michigan Central campus. The reason why I decided to film this space is because I walk pass it everyday, and I thought it would be interesting to really pay attention to the design and experience the space. Besides, the gigantic rectangular concrete pillars at the entrance of the building appealed to me. The repetition pattern of those vertical forms enhances the layers and size of the entrance. They also lead our eyes along the depth towards the end, like a tunnel.  

In my video, I broke the clips into three sections, which are the morning, sunset and night respectively. At the beginning of the video, I tried to present the peaceful mood of the morning; as a result, I made some close up shots about the texture of the entrance. The time did not change the space at all, so most of the shots looked still, like a photo. For the sunset part, the contrast between lights and shadows was my main focus. I intentionally chose to use a full shot of the entrance to show how the shadows and sunlight fell on different directions. In addition, I noticed that more people entered and left the building during this time. So, I recorded down the active movements as well. The sunset section was more energetic compare to the other two parts. For the night section, I tried to film the entrance at different angles. In my opinion, the dark night gave me a sense of mysterious, so I would like to present them in an unusual way. For example, I flipped the shots upside down and made a Dutch angle.


I intended to make this a fast pace video. However, during the process of experimenting a proper speed, the fast pace version was visually unpleasant. So I tried to keep every shots around 5 to 6 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment