Sunday 1 November 2015

Project 1 Final - Benjamin Leigh

Duderstadt Library Video

         Project one for Arch 212 was filmed in the Duderstadt library. The space is located on the North Campus of University of Michigan. My goal was to shoot a space that was visually stunning. “The Dude” is unlike most common spaces on U of M’s campus. It is spacious and open while maintaining intimate and personal sections that students can study and socialize in. Also majority of students do not have classes on North Campus and have never stepped foot in The Dude. I find that unsettling because it houses the Art & Architecture library as well as the music studios. I have spent a lot of time all over The Dude and I felt I could do the space justice when it came to capturing it on film. 
          In terms of shooting I relied on the use of a tripod fixed upon a dolly. The Dude it main carpet so the dolly did not always roll smoothly. On the other hand, the tripod allowed me to pan across the space with precision. One of the reasons I love The Dude is the space’s glass windows fixed on the sides and ceiling. I shot the space around 2:30-3:00pm so that the sun would be fixed above the space at an angle. The sun made for extremely sharp shadows. From the beginning I knew I would color correct the footage, however it wasn’t until post production that I felt the shots needed to be black and white. The Dude is littered with variation in texture. The shots I filmed not only accented the textures of the space, but also the variations in light and shadow. Converting the footage to black and white in my mind pushed forward I multitude of a visual motifs to help define the space.

          While the project asked to capture a space over time, I felt more interested in capturing a space in one particular moment in time. The way the sun lit the space at that particular time on that particular day may never be achieved again. I wanted to convey the space in a coherent and linear progression. 

No comments:

Post a Comment