Sunday 1 November 2015



        I choose the Law Quad entrance because I am very attracted to the building. It has beautiful stone work, lightening, and form. I knew that I wanted to base this project on how the natural light of day and night effect the space and its uses. To start this project, I began filming it inside as to show more detail on the structure. However, this became an issue because I was focusing on the building itself rather than how time effects the building or space. After my discussion class, I decided to film outside of the entrance way. Here,      I was able capture segments of clips throughout the day that showed the light changing the space. The clips are offset to the right so the viewer can also view the detail of the inside of the entrance, such as the lighting fixture, stone work, and side door. 
As the light of midday moves to sunset, the purpose and meaning of the entrance change. During daylight hours, the entrance is merely that, an entrance. People focus on entering or exiting the law quad and do not really notice the beautiful arch. The outside is bright and lighten up, while the inside is dark and not the main focus point of the film. As night comes, the lights turn on and the outside because darkened, making the entrance the main subject of the film.
Another way the time and light changed the function of the building is through the peoples use of it. During the day, it is a passageway from one space to another. However, during the night, it becomes a place of conversation, gathering, or even warmth from the frigid wind. The entrance becomes noticed and appreciated more when it is the night. I believe this is an important topic when it comes to everyday lives because many human beings do not notice architecture until it becomes of use to them or highlighted by something. 

1 comment:

  1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvMNpcA3YTI
    Link in case the video does not work.

    ReplyDelete