Sunday 1 November 2015

Michigan Theater (Project #1)


My film was shot using the historical building known as the Michigan Theater downtown Ann Arbor. I was first attracted to this space for aesthetic reasons (beauty, elegance) but I now feel it was both a great selection and a bit of a challenge to showcase the depiction of time. I chose to film on the second level because aside from the theater, I feel it is the most beautiful space in the theater. Additionally, it allowed me to look at how people utilize and interact with the space throughout time.

In my film, I ended up following a girl’s “trip” into the theater and then back out after the film with her permission. I did this all while maintaining a focused perspective on the sequence of the story and also the mirrored space on the second level. Sound was central to depicting time as the subject of my film because the lighting was constant. When the theater’s film has ended in the video and the girl in my film is seen leaving the second level, the sound gets louder. Additionally, the motion of the people who were captured in the background assisted in depicting time. For example, before the theater’s film was shown people can be seen waiting by the concessions on the lower level.

The shots I ended up selecting aid in guiding the narrative. I used still shots mainly because the people and the girl in my film are in constant motion. In order to showcase how the second level entrance feels much larger than it is in reality I used the mirrors in a couple shots. The mirror shots also depict how the space can be viewed differently depending on where people are coming from. The view changes as the young lady in my film moves up and down to additionally showcase how her perspective might change as she is entering/leaving the space. 


Overall, I think this is a gorgeous piece of architecture and perhaps not a space typically thought of as architecture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment