Sunday 1 November 2015

Project 1- Danielle Fattore



For this project I chose Studio C in the University of Michigan's Dance Department. I chose this location because this space is small and simple, with small complexities. As a dance major, I use this space a lot, but sometimes forget to really take in the space, and notice its details. This project helped me see the space differently, and this has changed the way I use the space, and has changed the work that I have made in the space. I wanted to see the subtle textures and shapes the room made when people were both inside and outside of the space. I wanted to be able to show the space in as many perspectives as possible. When one walks into the space, to the right there is a mirror that fills out the entire wall and piano that covers a section of the mirror. In front of the viewer there is a second mirror, which has a clock above it. I wanted to play with the mirrors and show how the mirrors change the way the space is both used and viewed. To start, I shot the space without any movement. I shot the room like this in many different angles so the viewer could see the room from different viewpoints. I also wanted one of my shots to have movement in it, so that the viewer could see what the room would look like if she or he was moving through the space. I also wanted the viewer to see what the space looked like when there were people inside the space. I had a shot of my friend moving through the space very quickly and abruptly, with many level shifts in his movement. I also had him move very slowly in the space, in front of one of the mirrors. The viewer can see his reflection in the mirror as well as his own body which was very exciting and fun to play around with while filming this project. I then added my friend Ellen to the space, to show the viewer what studio C was like with multiple people in the room. Overall, I feel that I gave the viewers a taste of this room from a lens that involves many perspectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment