Saturday 10 October 2015

Response 2 [Part 2]: Location Choice and Shooting Plan

Part 2: Location Choice and Shooting Plan



The place I have selected for my video is the Holocaust Memorial at 503 Thompson Street, next to Rackham Auditorium. The memorial has a clearly defined domain, demarcated by a concrete path leading in from the sidewalk and circling the large central statue. The low shrubbery surrounding the path further separates it from the surrounding lawn and the sidewalks.

I specifically selected this over my other choice of the MLB basement studio because I found the creation of space without four walls more interesting. The open area also allows me to get a more dynamic picture of how time affects the space as it is exposed to more human traffic, changes in light and changes in weather.

One unique aspect of the space is that it feels extremely serene in contrast to the frenetic energy of people rushing past on the sidewalk to catch a bus or go to class. I hope to capture how this serenity is maintained throughout the day by capturing the space from the left side, allowing the frame to show the bus stop in the background and the activity happening right outside the boundaries of the memorial. I also plan on showing how light changes throughout the day. With a high angled shot, I should be able to see how shadows move over time. Filming the space from outside the shrub boundary at a distance may also allow me to show how distinct the domain looks in comparison to the surrounding. The narrative for the video will most likely cover a single day, with short clips taken every few hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment