Sunday 11 October 2015

El Vato

2. The space I chose to document was the Duderstadt library atrium. The space is unexpectedly grand. The space employs a timeless brick construction both on its exterior and interior. The brick is vast and radiates through the space and compliments numerous modern attributes. For example sharp and crisp study areas and the various technology that inhabits the space. On the contrary the carpeting adds a very dated feel to the space.

3. I chose to film the space because visually it has a lot to offer architecturally. The structure is tall and built primarily with brick. This aesthetic choice conveys a sense of strength and grander, a quite suitable choice for a building in the engineering school. However the ceiling of the space is littered with enormous planes of glass to allow light in the space. The tough texture of the bring in conjunction with the crisp and clean glass facilitates great visual variation. Also I figured a lot of people would want to shoot the Law Quad in all its gothic stone triumph but I felt a better space could be depicted.


4. For filming I plane to employ the use of my 17-55mm lens. This piece of glass is not to be mistaken with the the stock Nikon lens (18-55mm). The extra 1mm in focal length seriously adds a wideness to the shot that most lenses cannot achieve. Such a lens is tailored towards shooting architectural spaces. My plan is to get in the space around 2-3:00PM when the sun is on an angle (assuming the sun will cooperate with me). This will hopefully achieve crisp shadows from the brick, steel beams, and glass. Depending on how much sun and contrast I can achieve i would like the film to be black and white. My goal is to convey not only the texture of the space, but the form/counter form the space creates.  

No comments:

Post a Comment