Thursday 3 December 2015




             When this project was announced, I became very excited because I love hands-on building projects. My original intention was to have two cardboard pyramids one inverted on top of the other. I attempted this for the draft, but soon found out that it was a structural disaster. The most weight it could support was about forty pounds. I focused too much on the design and aesthetics of my stool rather than the functional properties. I also had problems with attaching the tip of the pyramids without using fasteners; so I had to use tape on my draft to ensure it would not completely fall apart. My discussion class liked the design of it and gave many great tips on how to possibly keep the shape but add support.
             However, after many trials with the pyramids, I decided to go back to the drawing board and focus more on structure and support. The first thing I focused on was how my weight would be evenly distributed throughout so it would not be on one specific piece of cardboard. This is what led me to have the four vertical pieces. Then I cut and attached several horizontal pieces to each side to keep the vertical pieces in place and standing upright. However, the stool was still rocking back and forth. To resolve this situation, I put similar support beams going across the width of the stool. This allowed the stool to be and feel strong and stable.

"It is not the beauty of a building you should look at; its the construction of the foundation that will stand the test of time" - David Allan Coe, American Songwriter

             I agree with Coe because if the foundation and structure do not perform well, then it gives the building no chance for design and fame. Although my stool isn't the most aesthetically pleasing, it can hold a lot of weight and perform the functions of a stool. There also is detail in the joints that can be observed because every cut is precisely measured out and the stool is very symmetrical, which is pleasing to the eye.
            Overall, I thought this project was a great way to design while experiencing the everyday struggles of balancing structure, cost, and materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment