Wednesday 2 December 2015






For my stool project, I aimed to show the viewer the structure of the stool. Unlike some of my peers who used a hidden structure, I wanted it to be very clear how it was created. I cut 4 "legs" and cut them into the shape of a chair. I used the cardboard from cutouts to create cross-sliding sections that I inserted into the back rest and the seat. I cut slits in both the cross sections and the legs in order to maintain stability and minimize pressure. I decided to add a back rest in order to increase stability and comfort. I do not  think my design could have been possible without the back rest, because the seat could not have held as much weight. I believe this design was successful, because it held my weight and was fairly comfortable. 
My biggest goal with this project was to create a stool that was aesthetically pleasing and structurally sound. The details in this piece were fairly obvious. Again, the design was very apparent when looking at the stool. The details were created by the cross sliding sections. These details can be referred to as material joints. The details can more specifically be called elements. These details were significant, because they acted as both the design and the ascetically pleasing part of the chair. This detail incorporated the two major goals of architecture. 
Tectonics was a large part of this design, because it incorporated both science and art. It was not difficult for me to create the artistic design in my mind. The difficulty came when I needed to create a stool that could support my weight. Understanding how the stool could support my weight was a scientific matter. I needed to understand basic physics principles and surface area. This stool is a perfect example of how architecture is both science and art. 
Although there could have been a few improvements, I believe my design met these qualifications. 

No comments:

Post a Comment