Sunday 6 December 2015

Response 4

Stool Document 

              
       
1. I made this stool with an intention that this design should make people not only rest but also fun. For that, first I imagined that who would sit this chair. It is of course good if it is used for everyone with any purpose, but for my stool, I decided that somebody who is physically and mentally tired will be the perfect person to sit here to rest. Because it is made of paper, it is not supposed to be stable chair for some people who study for a long time.





     



2.  To make people physically feel comfortable, I had to make them not feel their weight. However, I changed my mind, and began to make it intentionally ‘not stable.’ Like a swing chair or hammock, something movable make people feel more comfortable. With five large vertical rectangles pointing centre with connected edges, people are able to move their body twisting or rolling from side to side.











    3.     To make people mentally rest, I borrowed an idea of “marble rail” such as the picture. When the marble starts to roll at the highest point, it goes following various kinds of rails and finally arrives the lowest spot. This marble rail let people brain rest and refresh. Inspired by this, I made simplified version of marble rail at the backside of my stool in order to make people enjoy when they sit here.













>>>>>>











4.    I used two different basic strategies to make it stable without using glue. 
First, I made five vertical holes on front bottom side to insert five rectangles into it. It makes rectangles fixed where they need to be, and also aesthetically nailed not showing edges. 


The other strategy that I used to combine rectangles and rounded edges is to cut a little bit horizontal way for each panel, and insert together. I used this for one of the upper part rounded panel, and others including marble rail part are cut only one edge and inserted. I utilized the marble rail part not only for its function to make people mentally rest, but also for its structural strength fixing and connecting pieces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment