Sunday 6 December 2015

Response 4: Stool Final Project

As Richard Hill says, “architecture is aesthetically distinctive because it is an art of design” (Hill, 194). This project enlightened me to the nuances in the design process as well as the challenges. For my project, it was a challenge to keep the structure in mind, while simultaneously producing a stool that was aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

My stool evolved significantly from initial concept to finished product. I wanted the top of my stool to be aesthetically minimalistic because the base of my stool was much more complex. I played around for awhile trying to determine what fastening pattern would create the most stable product. I ended up determining the “x” pattern to be the most stable. My first draft used what I am dubbing as the “x-fastener” technique that I ultimately ended up using for my final stool, but to a lesser extent. Initially I only incorporated one “x-fastener” but added another in my final stool in order to sustain more weight. 

My completed stool utilized the “x-fastener” not only for structural purposes but also as ornament in the stool. The “x-fastener” look resulted in an edgier more contemporary stool - something I was aiming for. 

Overall, I was surprised and pleased at how the notching and folding methods I used could result in such a sturdy stool. The ornamentation of my chair was something I really struggled with initially. In the Frascari reading on tectonic expression, he notes the selection of specific details to express function (Frascari, 506). This is appropriate in relation to my stool because my details were very function oriented. For example, the crossed legs express the function of the structure and sturdiness of the stool. 

Further, the yellow and white cardboard adhered to my minimalist and contemporary concept I had in mind for my stool. Something I am proud about is the fact that my stool celebrates the structure while not interfering with the purpose. By this I mean that although the structure of my stool is visible on the bottom half, the “x-fastener” patter is shielded by my removable tops. This allowed the purpose of my stool to remain well communicated.   







       

No comments:

Post a Comment