Sunday 6 December 2015

Response 4: Stool Document - Jake Beason


My Stool 

When designing my stool, my main concern was for it to function properly – that is to successfully and comfortably support someone.  With this mindset, I concluded that the best route to achieve a sturdy stool while not neglecting its aesthetics would be to hide the structure within the body of it.    



 As a result, the main structure of my stool is hidden in the very center; it can be observed when the top of the stool is removed.  The lines from the exterior cross shape seem to continue into the interior and surround a “platform” that bears most of the weight.  This structure along with the four small inserts in each wing of the cross create an interesting tectonic: “opposing forces” work to keep the stool erect and not collapse under the weight of the user.  In reference to the Roth reading, the overall interior of my stool can be considered the physical structure. 

This structure is very similar to that of my draft; however, the very center (the platform) was added to take on most of the weight.  Overall, my final structure was made with careful attention to detail and is much more sturdy than my draft.




 As described earlier, the exterior of my stool is much more concerned with aesthetics.   The geometric shapes and sharp edges create a very clean and modern feeling.  The four indents about the exterior would be considered "formal joints" in reference to detail and Frascari's article.  These joints not only contribute to the visual appeal, but they serve as mediators between the exterior shell and interior structure of the stool.


The octagonal top came about as a result of the critique of my draft.  While I originally had a square top, I found that the corners and edges of the square began bending; the octagonal top eliminates the weak corners of the square and allows the lid to be flush against the edge of the stool.  This top also creates four interesting overhangs.





Conceptually, I hoped to create a lid that was permanently attached to the top, but I realized that access to the interior structure would be beneficial in the case of a structure malfunction.  For this reason, the lid is easily removable and consists of only two tabs that fasten it to the remainder of the stool.


Overall, I believe I was very successful in creating a stool.  Not only is it contemporary and visually appealing, but it actually works - when there is not enough seating in my dorm room, my friends even use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment